|'Hail the Empress of Sly!' Ascend Super Club 2009|
At this moment, I feel like I'm living the perfect life. I have the man I love and who loves me like no other, I have a family who is always there for me and gives me the freedom I need to achieve my dreams, a best friend who loves me unconditionally and makes me feel the best always, and business partners and associates who continuously believe in me and my brand.
And so for this post I want to share to you things I learned the past years, so you too can live the life of an Empress and be truly happy, successful and invincible.
Business in General & the Fashion Industry
- Choose the right partners. Get a partner who has something (other than money) to put into the table - unique set of skills, connections in the industry, and has excellent character. Don't partner just because you like each other or he/she is a relative - this will never be enough in business. It takes serious work, dedication, focus, and expertise in different field to get to the top.
- Research the industry you want to get into. The more you know, the more power you get.
- Screen fashion designers well. Don't hire them because they sketch nice. Hire them because they walk the talk. I met many fashion designers who has great vision but when it comes to getting it done, they get lost in their creative world. So you want to get the balance of great design and execution.
- Outsource everything you can't do. Never build your own production house because you have the money nor you like the feeling of controlling things. If you're a newbie, it's the path to disaster. Pour all your energy in something you know.
- Look at your cash flow. Without proper financing, business stops. If you don't know cashflow, get a partner who understands this, but you need to learn it too so you can make decisions faster.
- Be open-minded. Allow business deals from other industries along the way. Even if you are a fashion designer, it doesn't mean you're stuck at designing clothes and can't close deals - you could be the next Donald Trump - so don't close any opportunities!
- Know who you're dealing with. Never be fooled by appearance, status or perfect communication skills.
- Don't jump into any deals because it sounds good. There are different levels of deal-makers and scammers. Be very sensitive to each type.
- Ask someone very successful - preferably a taipan or someone who is working with that level - if you're unfamiliar with the deal. Some people are out there making money out of ignorant people. Watch your back and take small steps at a time.
- Scams are endless. But the longer your patience, the more you will learn, and the more the probability you'll close a deal.
- Organize your stuff. It will organize your thoughts too and find solutions!
- Again, when people say "you can't", do it anyway - because there's nothing more excruciating than seeing other people's success. Make them envy you.
- Choose the hardest task always. So that everything else feels miniscule.
- Learn people's body language. Every move means something - they could be lying in your face! Listen carefully and don't be gullible. I picked up some cool tricks of reading people from tv series 'Lie To Me', check it out.
- Don't be greedy. Many deals don't happen because of greed. Take what you feel is right and fair then turn to next project. Don't get stuck discussing and counting commissions before the deal happens.
Beauty, Image & Health
- Prioritize. Know what's important to your business and relationships. Don't be held up by emotions. Eat your pride and go for the goal.
- Choose friends. You're not being a b*tch, you just want to protect your future, your business and your life. Success breeds success. You want to go to the top, hang out with millionaires if you can't find billionaires.
- Be careful what you say on your Facebook status. Whatever you say there reflects on who you are.
- Stay away from public fights. It's ugly and cheap. I've been friends with people who loves getting into fights and causing unnecessary scene. With exceptions though - when someone is messing your business, don't hesitate to get your point across.
- Know when to stop. When stressed out, stop what you're doing and take deep breaths. Sleep and meditate.
Love & Family
- Communicate. Do everything you can to communicate but at the right time and place. Never be in a relationship where it's one-way. If your partner can't communicate then he/she probably is not the right one for you.
- Love like it's the end of the world. Cook for him, adore him and give him kisses when least expected. If he doesn't return the love, rethink the relationship.
- Don't be selfish and self-centered, admit your mistakes and find ways to solve your problems and revive the love. Relationships are never easy. Like I always say, it's like opening a business - you have to manage it, nurture it and make it as strong as you can to be successful.
- If he/she is cheating, leave him and start all over again. Once they did it, they can do it again. So save yourself time and find that lucky charm.
- When you feel down, go to your family, they'll give you the energy you needed and they'll accept you no matter what. If you're not in good terms with family, reconcile. You feel feel much better without the heavy baggage.
- Respect your parents and your grandparents. They always want the best from you. Even if they sound repetitive and annoying because they get into your business, smile and think it's their way of showing their love. So make sure you hug them and kiss them and thank them whenever you can.
- Forgive. Because if you don't, you will never be truly happy and feel successful. You will be dragged and you will drag everyone around you to your misery. You always want to be that vibrant, beautiful and successful girl everyone wants to be.